18th Street Arts Center, Santa Monica, CA
-Three year residencies
-“18th Street is a community which values art making as an essential component of a vibrant, just and healthy society”
-Studio Space based on Artist’s Proposal, community service program required by all attendees.
The American Academy in Rome, Italy
- Various fellowships, residencies, and visiting artist/scholar programs
Anderson Ranch Arts Center, Snowmass Village, CO
- Deadline: February 1st, there are fall and spring residency programs!
- Ceramics, printmaking, digital imaging and photography, furniture and woodworking, painting and drawing, sculpture and installation.
- All residents are charged a studio rental fee of $275 per month. Residents can choose to live on or off campus. On-campus housing includes a room & board plan with a monthly rent of $1,225 for a single room with a shared bath. The meal plan includes 6 dinners and 7 continental breakfasts per week. Deposit of $250 for Housing, Application fee of $60.
Archie Bray Foundation for Ceramic Arts, Helena, MT
- “Residencies range from a few months (short-term) to up to two years (long-term). New residents are chosen once a year in March by the Bray's director and a rotating jury of two other ceramic artists. The selections are based on the quality of the work, its artistic merit, and the diversity of the prospective group in terms of work, background, and stage of career development.”
-No on-site housing, residents must pay for their own materials and firings.
-Deadlines: See website for deadlines for various fellowships
Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts, Gatlinburg, TN
- Studio and housing, teaching opportunities. Various workshops and residencies.
- See website for Deadlines.
Artcroft, Carlisle, KY
-Four week residencies between May 1st and October 31st
-Artists prepare own food, $50.00 a week for food costs.
- All residents are expected to participate in the preparation of meals, cleaning of facilities, and development of gardens and studios.
-On a continual basis, no deadlines.
Art Farm, Marquette, NE
- Accommodation and studio space in exchange for 12 hours/week help renovate and maintain Art Farm, artist pays for own living expenses.
- 8-12 weeks during June 1- November 1
Art Omi, Columbia County, NY
- June to July
- Studio, living space, meals
- Deadline: November 30
Artpark, Lewiston, NY (Near Niagara Falls)
- Spend 2-3 weeks at the park, three-dimensional installations & sculpture
-Deadline not listed, contact information available on website
Atlanta Printmaking Studio, Emerging Artist Residency, Atlanta, Georgia
-6 month printmaking Residencies, January-June
-Studio space, stipend, mentorship, free class or workshop
-Deadline: October 1st
Atlantic Center for the Arts, New Smyrna Beach, FL
-Various deadlines for working with the Mater Artists (check website for more info)
-visual arts (painting, sculpture, photography, film/video), architecture, music (composition and performance), literature, modern dance, performance art, and theater for interdisciplinary dialogue
The Banff Centre, Banff, Canada
-“Facilities accommodate the printmaker, painter, ceramist, photographer, and sculptor. Artists are encouraged to explore all our facilities, regardless of their primary discipline.”
- Various residency programs – check website. Creative Residencies and Self-Directed Residences for Visual Artists.
- Financial aid available
Bellagio Study + Conference Center, Lake Como, Italy
-The individual residency offers scholars, artists, writers, musicians, scientists, policymakers, and development professionals from around the world an opportunity to pursue ideas and engage others in their work.
- 4-week sessions
-Deadlines: December 1, 2011 for residency between mid-August and Mid-December, 2012
Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts, Omaha, NE
-Deadlines: February 28th
-Residencies between six weeks to three months
-Monthly stipend, living space/studio, installation room, sculpture facility, dark room, woodshop, & video editing facility
Blue Mountain Center, Blue Mountain Lake, NY
- Deadline: February 2
- 4-week sessions, Mid-June to September
- No cost except for transportation, TV and cell phone use is not welcomed in facilities.
- Writers, artists, activists and musicians
Blue Sky Project, Dayton, OH
Blue Sky Project is a summer experience that empowers professional artists and Dayton-area
teens to collaborate and build community through the creation of ambitious works of contemporary art and performance. As one of five Blue Sky Project Artists-In-Residence, you will cross-pollinate with
other practicing artists, collaborate with teens, expand your ideas and add artistic breadth and depth to the Dayton community. No entry fee.
The Brandywine Workshop, Philadelphia, PA
- Offers 1-week to 2-month residencies. There are Visiting Artist, Regional Artist and Young Artist fellowships. Check the website for details.
Byrdcliffe Arts Colony (also referred to the The Woodstock Byrdcliffe Guild), Woodstock, NY
-Artist colony located in Catskill Mountains, 90 miles from NYC
- 1-3 month (June-September) residencies for 14 visual artists, ceramic artists, writers, musicians and theater artists
- Cost is $300-$350 depending on length of session.
Casa Dell'Arte Artist in Residence Program, Torba, Bodrum, TURKEY
- For young curators and visual artists from all disciplines
- Held twice a year, in spring and autumn
- participation of 5 artists and 1 curator for a period of 6 weeks
- At the end of this period, an exhibition is held at Casa de''lArte Hotel of Arts and Leisure in Bodrum, prior to a general exhibition in Istanbul.
- Aims to develop a public outreach through the involvement of artists with the local community
The Carving Studio & Sculpture Center, West Rutland, VT
- Internships and Residency Exchange Programs for Sculptors (see listings for Peru, Kenya and China).
-Independent Sculpture Studio program offers opportunity to work with master carvers
Center for the Holographic Arts, Long Island City, NY
- Encourages artists to make work using Holography, experience with holography is not necessary beforehand.
-5 days – 2 weeks
- Stipend & technical support
Centrum Foundation, Port Townsend, WA
-Artists, thinkers, activists, performers
- Accepts proposals on a rolling basis, also accepts collaborative proposals.
- $300 weekly fee
Cité Internationale des Arts, Paris, France
- 18, rue de l'Hôtel de Ville, 75180, Paris Cedex 04. Tél. : (33)1 42 78 71 72 Fax : (33)1 42 78 40 54
- Residencies for various time periods
Charlotte Street Urban Culture Project Studio Residency Program, Kansas City, MOhttp://www.charlottestreet.org/urban-culture-project/studio-residency-program/
- Free studio space with 24-hour access for 1 year- No full-time students- No residential accommodation
Contemporary Art Center at Woodside, Troy, NY
- “We seek artists who want to produce, explore, test new concepts, and expand the current debates and ideas in contemporary art and culture. The CAC accepts artists for residencies who offer quality in their art and encourages diversity of style, medium (2-D, 3-D, 4-D) and concept”
- Financial Aid Available, 95% of Residents receive awards. See site for fees.
- Deadlines: November 1, February 1, May 1, August 1
Contemporary Artists Center, North Adams, MA
- “We seek artists who want to produce, explore, test new concepts, and expand the current debates and ideas in contemporary art and culture. The CAC accepts artists for residencies who offer quality in their art and encourages diversity of style, medium (2-D, 3-D, 4-D) and concepts.”
- Deadlines for financial support, see listing.
- Minimum one week to six months
The Core Program / Museum of Fine Arts Houston, Houston, TX
-1 – 2 years
-Deadline: April 1 for next year
-Stipend, teaching opportunity, exhibition, private studio and access to special library collections
Darling Foundry, Montreal, Quebec, Canadahttp://fonderiedarling.org/encourager_e/residences_int.html- Studios and living accomodations- Awards one residency of 6 months - $23,000 CDN
Delfina Studio Trust, London, U.K.
-Opportunities for Curators, Writers and Artists
-See “news” for deadline information, open calls posted on website directly
-Maximum of 3 months
Dieu Donné Papermill, New York, NY
- “Workspace Program” (for New York state residents) offers emerging artists in any medium opportunity to work in paper, five-day collaboration and assistance with master papermaker
-Mailing list for when applications are available
Djerassi Resident Artists Program, Woodside, CA
-Deadline: February 15th each year
-Choreography, literature, music composition, visual arts, and media arts/new genres
- 4 to 5 week sessions through mid-March through mid-November, 2 visual artists per session
-Living space, studio space, communal dinners during the week. Artist expected to cover travel and materials, $35 application fee.
Edward F. Albee Foundation, Montauk, NY
-Deadline: March 1st ( for summer)
-four to six week residencies for writers, painters, sculptors, composers (Mid-May to Mid-October)
- Visual Artists offered room and studio space, artist responsible for food and travel expenses
- “Cash awards totaling $25,000, but much more than that, access to amazing resources including 24/7 access to Eyebeam's design, research, and fabrication studios have been awarded to 6 artists in the areas of performance, wearable technology, interactive installation, media art, and sonification/ visualization”
The Fabric Workshop and Museum, Philadelphia, PA
- Invitational, artists are invited by the director based on staff recommendations
- Emerging and established artists
- Work collaboratively with staff and technicians to create works using experimental materials and techniques
Fine Arts Work Center, Provincetown, MA
- 7 – month residencies (Oct – May)
- All forms of visual artists & writers
-Visual arts Fellows are provided with apartments and separate working studios of approximately 400 square feet of floor space.
-Deadline: February 1
Frans Masereel Centrum, Kasterlee, BELGIUM
- Printmaking Artist Residency
- Two calls for applications every year (check their website for deadlines)
- 3 types of residencies (General Residency, Research Oriented Residency, Essay Writing Residency)
Gyeonggi Creation Center Residency Studio Program, Korea
-"Gyeonggi Creation Center is an artist residency located in the west coast of Korea. Established in 2009, GCC aims to support artists and curators from around the world and from various fields of art for theircreative work and research. With various programs and facilities alongside the studios, GCC hopes to be a dynamic platform for an experimental and progressive contemporary art. For the 2012 Residency Studio Program, GCC will accept applications from artists of all fields including visual and performing arts, film and new media, literature, music and sound arts. Artists, curators and researchers from respective fields may also apply in our 2012 Open call."
-Deadline: December 16, 2011 for 2012.
The Hambidge Center, Rabun Gap, GA
-Two to Eight Week Residencies from February-December
- Resident Fellows pay $200 per week (of the $1250 per week cost) Limited scholarships are available. Vegetarian meals prepared by chef.
-Deadlines: January 15th, April 15th, September 15th
Haystack Mountain School of Crafts, Deer Isle, ME
- 1, 2, 3 – week sessions in blacksmithing, clay, fibers, glass, graphics, metals, and wood
- Offers up to 100 scholarships yearly and community-based residency programs
Highland Center for The Arts, Sausalito, CA
- Residencies from four to ten weeks
- all disciplines - visual, performance, writing, interdisciplinary, music, composition, sound, film, video, new media, social practice, and architecture/environment
-for deadlines, check website and join mailing list
I-Park Residency, East Haddam, CT
- Free of charge, no stipend
- I-Park provides a private bedroom, private studio, artists’ meal program (most, though not all, food is provided) and some shared amenities: library, Common Area, inviting artists’ kitchen, wireless internet.
- Four $750 travel grants in 2012 will be offered to international artists who’ve been offered residencies by their respective selection juries (separate, subsequent competitive process conducted by the grant committee).
- Music Composition/Sound Sculpture
- Visual Arts (including sculpture, environmental art,
installation, memorial art)
- Moving Image (including video and film art, documentary,
animation, virtual reality, game/interactive art)
- Landscape/Garden Design
- Creative Writing
- Typically 4 weeks, limited number of 2-week residency offered.
Indianapolis Island, Indianapolis, IN
(Indianapolis Museum of Art)
- About 20 feet in diameter, Indianapolis Island is a fully inhabitable experimental living structure that examines the daily needs of contemporary human beings. Each summer, the island will be occupied by one or two commissioned residents. They will collaborate with Zittel by adapting and modifying the island’s structure according to their individual needs.
- 6 week residency in summer
- For Graduate and Undergraduate students and emerging professionals in the fields of art, design, architecture and performing arts
- Island residents are provided with a budget of $3000, paid in two installments, to purchase materials for fabrication. All materials purchased with this budget are property of the IMA. A personal stipend of $1500 is also awarded.
Isaac W. Bernheim Foundation/Bernheim Arboretum & Research Forest, Clermont, KY
-minimum of two months up to four months
-provided housing plus honorarium of $2500
-Submissions accepted for 2012 from November 1, 2011 to January 31, 2012.
Jan Van Eyck Academie, Maastricht, Netherlands
-Various open calls for proposals
- Minimum stay is one month, minimum is twenty-four months
-Stipends available, artists find their own housing
Jentel Artist Residency Program, Banner, WY
-Deadlines: January 15, September 15
-Artists and writers
- Space and stipend
John Michael Kohler Arts Center, Sheboygan, WI
-“Artists-in-residence may work in the Kohler Co. Pottery, Iron and Brass Foundries, and Enamel Shop to develop a wide variety of work in clay, enameled cast iron, and brass including but not limited to murals and reliefs, temporary or permanent site-specific installations, and functional and sculptural forms.”
-A few different types of residencies, see listing.
-Deadline: April 1 for residencies the following year
Kala Institute, Berkeley, CA
-“Artists working in various printmaking techniques, photo-processes, book arts and digital media including sound/video production can apply”
- 1, 2 & 3 month residencies, 6 month residencies available to returning artists
-Deadlines: January 31, April 30, July 31, October 31
Kalani Honua, Pahoa, Hawaii
-the artists in residence opportunities are available mainly from May-July and September-December. Minimum stay is 2 weeks, maximum is 3 months
-Stipend available, see fees for accommodations.
Kimmel Harding Nelson Center for the Arts, Nebraska City, NE
-Residencies are available for two-, four-, six-, or eight-weeks stays. Each resident receives a $100 stipend per week, free housing, and a separate studio
- Deadlines: September 1st , March 1st
Lawrence Arts Center Artist Residency (Printmaking & Ceramics)
-Deadline: check website (April 23 for 2011 deadline)
Lawrence Arts Center Project-based Residency, Lawrence, KS
-1-3 month commitment
-Up to $300 per project support, use of studio space at Arts Center established times, and up to 8 hours of private instruction in any studio space or medium
The MacDowell Colony, Peterborough, NH
-Eight week residencies that include meals, living and studio space.
-Deadlines vary depending which session you are applying for.
-Writers, visual artists, composers, filmmakers, interdisciplinary artists, architects
Marie Walsh Sharpe Art Foundation, Free Studio Space in NYC
-free studio spaces in NY for 1 year, living space is not provided.
-Deadline: January 31st
Mattress Factory, Pittsburgh, PA
-“Residencies range from one week to two months, with an average of three to four weeks. The artists determine the length of time they wish to work, and the schedule is designed to provide maximum on-site staff support for each artist.”
-Financial support, workspace and other resources
-Applications are put on website when residency has availability.
McColl Center for Visual Art, Charlotte, NC
-eleven to twelve week residencies for Artist-in-Residence program, a few other types of residencies listed on website.
- Artists-in- Residence receive a stipend ($3,300), materials budget ($2,000), travel allowance and housing (if outside of Charlotte).
- To be considered for the residency program, please contact Ce Scott, Creative Director via email email@example.com
Millay Colony for the Arts, Austerlitz, NY
-Two week (in September) and One month residencies.
- “Those invited to The Millay Colony are not required to pay a residency fee. Room, board, and studio space are provided. Transportation costs are the responsibility of the artist. The Colony does not pay any stipend or living allowance.”
-Deadline: October 1
Nagasawa Art Park Artist-In-Residence, Japan
-8 week residencies
- Learn the Japanese waterbased printmaking technique, artists enjoy a traditional Japanese lifestyle with the local people in Nagasawa village
New Pacific Studio Residency (Mount Bruce, New Zealand & Vallejo, California)
- for artists, writers, composers
- pay residency fee (around $250 a week)
- see website for more information and application procedures.
Oregon College of Art & Craft, Portland, OR
-Emerging Artist Residencies cycle in the following categories: book arts, ceramics, drawing/painting, fibers, metals, photography and wood for a sixteen week residency.
-Residents receive housing within walking distance of campus (housing is limited to residents only, no spouses or pets); a $2,200 fellowship, and up to $100 for shipping their completed work. Studio space is provided by the sponsoring studio area department.
-See website for deadlines and also, “Senior Residency” for Mid-Career Artists.
Ox-Bow, Saugatuck, MI
- one-five week residences, depending on session
-$535 per week, some scholarships awarded
Pilchuck Glass School, Stanwood, WA
- The Emerging-Artist-in-Residence (EAiR) program serves promising younger artists who have had previous experience working with glass. Six artists are selected from applicants worldwide. They receive a $1,000 stipend, lodging, and access to studios for two months each fall.
Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
-For writers, artists, scholars and scientists
-Office/studio space, access to resources at Radcliffe/Harvard, stipend amount depending on your project expenses.
- Check website for deadline, October 1st for artists applying for the next year
Ragdale Foundation, Lake Forest, IL
-Writers and artists
-Two, four and six week residencies
- $25 per day, financial aid available
-Deadlines: Jan 15, May 15, September 15 (depending on session)
Red Cinder Creativity Center, Na’alehu, HI
-Two week long residencies
-Lodging fees for 14 days (358.22), Meal fees for 14 days (358.22)
-Private Studio and Private housing
RijksakademieOPEN Residency Program, Amsterdam, Netherlands
-"The Rijksakademie van beeldende kunsten (est. 1870) is an international residency program that aims to develop top talent in the visual arts. Furthermore, the Rijksakademie hosts historical and contemporary art collections, an extensive art library and organizes the Dutch 'state prize' the Prix de Rome. Work by former Rijksakademie residents is to be found in prestigious collections, galleries, museums and at biennales both in The Netherlands and abroad."
-apply between December 1, 2011 and February 1, 2012 for 2013.
Roswell Artist-in-Residence Program, Roswell, NM
- House, studio, monthly stipend ($800 a month)
-Deadline: ongoing, due to artists arriving at different times.
Salina Art Center, Salina, KS
Each artist-in-residence is provided a fully-furnished and fully-equipped live/work space; an honorarium; a travel stipend; and full technical and program administrative support.
Sculpture Space, Utica, NY
-Applications are due December 1 each year.
-20 artists are selected every year
-Sept~August residencies, excluding December, artists are expected to stay for full two months
-Artist responsible for own meals and supply expenses
-See website for detail and deadline.
Sitka Center for Art and Ecology, Oregon
-Residencies up to three and a half months
- “Each resident is given separate private fully furnished living quarters with a full kitchen. Most residents are given a private studio. No stipend is provided. Laundry facilities are available on campus. Residents are responsible for providing their own food, cleaning supplies, and transportation while in residence.”
-Deadline: April 20, for 2012-2013 sessions
The Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture, Skowhegan, ME
-Deadline: February 1
-Fellowships available, financial aid.
SPACE Studios, Portland, ME
The SPACE residency program provides a unique working environment for emerging and mid-career artists seeking support for their practice. Visual artists, filmmakers, writers, collaborative groups and curators who are not currently enrolled in an academic program and live outside of Maine are eligible to apply. A civically and socially engaged arts organization, SPACE strongly encourages artists who understand themselves as being outside the privilege of hetero-normative, white, male-centered identity to apply. Preference will be given to artists whose practices engage with contemporary issues and socially relevant concepts.
During the summer and fall of 2017, five artists will be selected for residencies lasting between two to four weeks, depending on the amount of time each project necessitates. Each resident is offered housing and 24-hour access to a private studio space. Additionally, each artist will be awarded a $500 stipend. Other resources such as projectors, a/v equipment, hardware and tools are made available upon request. Residents are also granted free access to all SPACE programs (films, concerts, community forums etc.) during their stay.
Spiro Arts at Silver Park in Park City, Utah
-Deadline: November 11th
Stonehouse Residency for the Contemporary Arts, Miramonte, CA
-June to August, 3 or 4 week sessions
-Renovated Chicken coop studio spaces, gallery space, private living space
-Artists asked to contribute $300 weekly for common food fund and other consumables.-Deadline: March 1st
Studio for Creative Inquiry, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA
-“We are currently supporting artists who create and adapt new technologies in their work, through research investigations in new forms such as interactive installation, robotics, computational cinema, biological art, network culture, tactical media, critical software, game arts, and information visualization.”
-Salary during stay, staff benefits, project funding, exhibition support, travel assistance, Housing support
-Deadline: check website (ongoing)
Studios Midwest, Galesburg, IL
-June – August
-Studios and housing
Triangle Artists Workshop, Brooklyn, New York
- “Although studio space is provided twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, free of charge, resident artists are responsible for all other expenses including housing, travel, materials and meals.”
Triangle France, Marseille, FRANCE
- 4 month International residency
- A studio and a room in a flat with roommates provided
- 1000 Euros provided for project
Ucross Foundation Residency Program, Clearmont, WY
-Deadlines: see website.
-Artists and writers
Vermont Studio Center, Johnson, VT
-4-12 week residencies.
-Writers and visual artists
-Deadlines depend on if you are applying for financial aid.
Virginia Center for the Creative Arts, Amherst, VA
-2 weeks - 2 months, year-round
-Deadlines: January 15, May 15, Sept 15
-Artists asked to contribute financially according to their ability
The Wassaic Project
-up to 6 months, studio and living space (see fees)
Weir Farm Art Center, Wilton, CT
- One month residencies, year round
- Housing, Utilities provided. Artist is responsible for their supplies and travel.
- Deadline January 15th for May-October, July 15th for April-November
Whitney Museum of American Art – Independent Study Program
-Studio space in an academic setting
-Contact information on website
Women’s Studio Workshop, Rosendale, NY
-Intaglio, silkscreen, hand papermaking, photography, letterpress, and ceramics
-See website for various fellowships
Yaddo, Saratoga Springs, NY
-Room/board and studio space, two to eight week residencies
-Deadlines: January 1, August 1